The Mixing Class offers the WSET Spirits Level 1 as a self-guided course using the WSET’s online classroom over a four week period.
To this we have also added some extra tools to help our students, including:
- access to Spirits Swot – our smartphone quiz app that helps you maximise your chances of exam success
- a tasting kit of ten fantastic spirit samples plus a guided podcast on tasting them using the Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting
- two of The Mixing Class custom tasting glasses to get you started on your journey to understanding and identifying the aromas and flavours in spirits
- your tasting kit will come wrapped in a lovely heavyweight TMC tote
The course covers:
- The basic principles of spirit production
- The main types and styles of spirits
- Factors affecting the flavour of spirits
- How to serve spirits
- How to describe spirits using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits®️ (SAT)
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to taste and describe spirits using a globally recognised approach, identify important styles of spirits and know the raw materials and production methods that define them.
Note: the course fee includes a year of access to WSET’s Online Classroom, your study pack, a dedicated online tutor, and your exam.
We are incredibly proud of the quality of our tasting samples, and your kit will include ten 15ml bottles of the following, plus tasting notes for each:
- Craft vodka – Arbikie Tattie Bogle
- Example of a young Cognac – Pierre Ferrand 1840
- Example of an old Cognac – Pierre Ferrand Selection des Anges
- Blended Scotch Whisky – Johnnie Walker Black
- Bourbon – Woodford Reserve
- Young Cuban Rum – Eminente 3 year old
- Aged Jamaican Rum- Appleton 12 year old
- Tequila – Terralta Blanco
- Gin – Boatyard Double
- Liqueur – Nixta corn
Note: due to global shipping and glassware issues we may need to swap a sample for another on occasion, but we will always use another of a similar or higher quality if so.