The Mixing Class offers the WSET Spirits Level 3 as a self-guided course using the WSET’s online classroom. It is an extremely challenging course – we therefore recommend the self-guided course only to those who are unable to attend classes, and strongly recommend to those choosing to study this way that they buy this course in conjunction with our tasting kit.
In addition to the content provided by the WSET, we have also authored some extra tools to help our students, including:
· access to Spirits Swot – our smartphone quiz app that helps you maximise your chances of exam success. This is indispensable for preparing for this exam.
· two of The Mixing Class custom tasting glasses to get you started on your journey to understanding and identifying where the aromas and flavours in spirits come from.
· your study materials will come wrapped in a lovely heavyweight TMC tote
This advanced course has been carefully developed by and for professionals working closely with spirits. It also represents the pinnacle of structured spirits education for the serious enthusiast. It should be undertaken by those who are willing to dedicate themselves to learning spirits to an elevated standard and requires considerable study prior to the course.
The course will open your eyes to new categories and offer you the opportunity to taste an exceptional range of spirits from across the globe, produced by some of the most well-respected names in distillation. You’ll take a deep dive into the raw materials and production processes behind the different categories, and our expert educators will work with you to develop your analytic tasting abilities through a carefully selected series of spirits samples.
The course will cover:
- The techniques used in spirit production:
- Processing of raw materials
- Alcoholic fermentation
- Post-distillation practices
- Factors affecting the style and quality of spirits, studying eleven core spirit categories in detail:
- Scotch Whisky
- Rye Whiskey
- Tennessee Whiskey
- Caribbean rum
- The characteristics of 23 additional spirit categories, focusing on:
- Principal production methods
- Key styles
- Key labelling terms
- How to taste and describe spirits using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits (SAT)
- Sample tasting notes for 62 spirits, that are readily available in the UK
Note: the course includes a year of access to WSET’s Online Classroom, your study pack, a dedicated online tutor, and your exam. Also included is Spirits Swot, a smartphone quiz app designed by The Mixing Class to help you revise. Samples are not included but can also be purchased from The Mixing Class to twin with this course, including tasting notes for each. This is a strongly recommended add-on so that students can master the systematic approach to tasting ahead of their tasting exam.