The Mixing Class is the world’s leading independent WSET spirits school.
We deliver award-winning Spirits Education led by cocktail and spirits industry veterans.
Our vision is to use education to empower the individual, to enrich the industry, and to foster diversity behind the bar.
We offer WSET spirits courses for professionals in on or off trade. For those working in the industry with some background in spirits, the Level 1 Award is not a prerequisite to enrolling on the Level 2 or 3 Awards.
AN 8 HOUR INTRODUCTION TO SPIRITS, USUALLY DELIVERED OVER ONE DAY. BY THE END OF THE COURSE ATTENDEES WILL BE ABLE TO:
- List and state the main ingredient’s production processes, and stills commonly used in the production of spirits
- Name the principal categories and types of spirits and name their defining characteristics
- Know and recognise the common equipment and principles involved in the storage and service of spirits
15 HOURS OF TUTOR SUPERVISED LEARNING, AS WELL AS 11 HOURS PRIVATE STUDY. BY THE END OF THE COURSE ATTENDEES WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Understand the main production factors that determine types of spirits
- Understand how the principal types of spirits are produced and labelled, and describe their key characteristics
- Understand how the principle types of flavoured spirits and aromatised wines are produced and labelled, and describe their key characteristics
- Know the common equipment used and the principles involved with the service of spirits
30 HOURS OF SUPERVISED LEARNING, AS WELL AS 52 HOURS OF PRIVATE STUDY. BY THE END OF THE COURSE ATTENDEES WILL:
- Acquire a deep theoretical understanding of the techniques used in spirit production, from the processing of the raw materials to post-distillation operations.
- Through a combination of tasting and application of theoretical knowledge you will learn to explain confidently why spirits look and taste the way they do and how and why they differ from each other.
The Mixing Class is Recommended by the Wine & Spirit Education Trust to provide WSET spirits courses
The Wine & Spirit Education Trust provides globally recognised education and qualifications in wines, spirits and sake, for professionals and enthusiasts. Established in 1969 for the UK wine trade, WSET has since grown to become the global industry leader.
As an independent, not-for-profit organisation, their educational products offer impartial and sound learning on which individuals and businesses can build knowledge and expertise.