The Mixing Class offers the WSET Spirits Level 2 as a self-guided course using the WSET’s online classroom. In addition to the WSET-provided materials, we have also added some extra tools to support our students, including:
· access to Spirits Swot – our smartphone quiz app that helps you maximise your chances of exam success
· a tasting kit of thirty fantastic spirit samples plus a guided podcast on tasting them using the Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting
· two of The Mixing Class custom tasting glasses to get you started on your journey to understanding and identifying where the aromas and flavours in spirits come from.
· your tasting kit will come wrapped in a lovely heavyweight TMC tote
This is the all new WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits, updated in summer 2022.
It covers the main categories of spirits and liqueurs and examines the influences of production methods on the different styles available in each category. Throughout the course, you’ll develop and strengthen your analytical tasting skills. The course will also cover some introductory information on using spirits in cocktails.
The knowledge gained on this course will be a significant advantage to anyone working with spirits in both the on- and off-trade, and the course is also perfect for spirits enthusiasts wanting to learn more about the product behind the brand.
The course covers:
1. Spirits production methods and how they affect style and quality
2. The characteristics of the main styles of spirits and liqueurs
3. The major global spirits brands
4. Tutored tastings of around 30 spirits and liqueurs (classroom courses only)
5. How to taste and describe spirits using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits (SAT)
Throughout the course you’ll become a more confident spirits taster under the guidance of our expert educators, learning how to use a globally recognised approach to tasting, to analyse the appearance, nose, palate, and quality level of a range of styles.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to identify how key raw ingredients and production methods influence the style and quality of the key spirits and liqueurs of the world. If you work with spirits, you’ll be able to confidently provide guidance on the use and service of spirits and make informed recommendations to customers when selecting spirits and liqueurs to meet their taste and price requirements.
Note: the course fee includes a year of access to WSET’s Online Classroom, your study pack, a dedicated online tutor, and your exam.
We are incredibly proud of the quality of our tasting samples, and your kit will include thirty 15ml bottles of the following, plus tasting notes for each. Note that there must be a variety of qualities tastings so you will have many exceptional spirits, as well as spirits designed to demonstrate a spirit of a poorer quality!
Bacardi Carta Blanca
Santa Teresa Solera Rum
Appleton 12 year old Jamaican Rum
Tesco’s Dark Rum
Tariquet Blanche Armagnac
Ferrand 1840 Cognac
Ferrand Selection des Anges
Waqar Chilean Pisco
Dupont VSOP Calvados
Bepi Tosolini Moscato Grappa
Jack Daniels No 7 Tennessee Whiskey
Woodford Reserve Bourbon
Knob Creek 9 year old Rye Whiskey
Johnnie Walker Black Blended Scotch Whisky
Glenmorangie 10 year old
Ardbeg 10 year old
Nikka Pure Malt Red Japanese Whiskey
El Tequileño blanco tequila
Ocho Añejo tequila
Koch Espadin mezcal
Vodka & Gin
Grey Goose wheat vodka
Boatyard malted wheat vodka
Jensen’s Old Tom Gin
Flavoured Spirits & Aromatised Wines
Combier Triple Sec
Ferrand Dry Curaçao
Cocchi Turino Vermouth
Note: due to global shipping and glassware issues we may need to swap a sample for another on occasion, but we will always use another of a similar or higher quality if so.